THE SCIENCE BEHIND A HANGOVER
When alcohol enters the digestive tract, it encounters an enzyme called dehydrogenase. This enzyme metabolizes the alcohol into acetaldehyde. When a moderate amount of alcohol is consumed, acetaldehyde is converted into a harmless compound called acetic acid. However, when an excess amount of alcohol is consumed, the nutrients required for the conversion to acetic acid are depleted, and acetaldehyde stays in the system and wreaks havoc on the body, causing the hangover symptoms.
Acetaldehyde drains your body of antioxidants, B vitamins, and other vital nutrients. The results are dehydration, plummeting blood sugar levels, nutrient deficiencies and cellular damage to vital organs, such as the liver.